- Cossack raiders => Don Cossacks  => Black Sea Cossacks  => Cossacks Regiment  A light cavalry line, with faster movement and creation speed.
- Imperial Guard  Russia's cuirassier unit, on par with British Scots Greys.
- Bardiche levy [1-2] => Opolchenies [3-4]
- streltsy musketeers  => Petrine pekhotnitsy  => Imperial pekhotnitsy  => Rifle pekhotnitsy  No ramp, and while rapid-shooting, Pekhotnitsy have poor accuracy and do not receive armour until the Industrial Era - and also cannot be upgraded to modern infantry.
- Cossack bowmen  => Serdiuks  (these units are like foot mercenaries)
- Pavlovski Grenadiers  => Imperial Guard Grenadiers  These units are on par with the British heavy line.
- Nomadic hunters  fierce horse-riding archers from the steppes of Central Asia, lost to dragoons.
- War barge  shared with jungle civs. Weak, but still cheap enough to be built in huge numbers.
- Monitor  Replaces Ironclad. Weaker than Ironclad, but endowed with a very powerful offshore attack.
-  Merchant cavalry
-  Sich host
-  Circassians
 Armatoloi  Presidential guard (upgrade of Armatoloi)
-  Turkestani Auxiliary
-  Mongol Tribesmen
-  Tankette
- Academy - trains your elite units
- Gorodsky Sobor - performs taxation and religion research, and is the main stopping point for your auxiliary units.
- Military-industrial complex (requires 6 levels of Military research; available from )
- Units heal within your borders
- Reduces the build time of ships, foundry units and aircraft
- Has a +10 oil and +10 metal bonus (once 3rd Green researched).
- Reduces the knowledge costs of science research and the research time for military research.
- Grants access to upgrades that allow for the creation of dreadnoughts, howitzers and heavy machine guns in .
- Has a facility for building recoilless gun infantry and tanks (different non-European sides build different tanks in  - Tanks are powerful mechanised units that destroy all other units, but have their own weaknesses - recoilless guns destroy them; they are vulnerable from aircraft attack; a direct hit from a cannon could potentially destroy them; and they are slower than tankettes, although they are much powerful in a shot-for-shot battle.)